Friends. Don't Leave Home Without Them.
I recently spent a week slope side in Colorado, with the dearest of friends. These friendships are priceless. They are the types of friends with whom words can be spoken without context, editing, or disclaimers. These friendships are authentic, raw, and vulnerable. Everyone needs to have these types of friends in their life.
How do you know if you have these friendships? Here are some indicators:
- You don't need to filter your words for fear of rejection or fear that your friend might think differently about you.
- You don't need to constantly justify why you said what you did. Your friend gets it, and more importantly, your friend knows you.
- When all hell breaks loose in your life (and it's inevitable that at some point it will), you have someone to call. Not only will they actually pick up the phone, they will also drive over to your house.
- When it's 2am and your house floods, your delayed flight lands at the airport, or you lock your keys in the car, you have a friend who will help.
- You're not afraid to cry in front of them.
- They make sure you're not alone on major Holidays (unless, of course, you want to be).
- You're not afraid to apologize to them, and they're not afraid to forgive you.
If you can't relate to any of these things on this list, it may be worth reevaluating the friendships in your life. But, it's not too late. It's never too late to cultivate real friendships. Yes, it will take time, risk, and vulnerability. But you'll never regret it.